Monday, December 29, 2014

2014 Year in Review



December 30, 2014


Holy mackeral what a year! When I started this blog and this quest, I couldn't imagine the places it would take me or the people I would meet.  I am still nine blogs behind, needing to write one more from the England trip, all five from the New York trip, and the four from the Oregon trip. But before the year ends, I wanted to write up a year in review.

I played golf on three continents and in four different countries. I was able to go to days three and four of the Open Championship in Liverpool. I visited the movie set of Hobbiton from the Lord of the Rings movies. And, I played some fantastic golf courses I had only dreamed of being able to visit.  I walked in the footsteps of champions, visited locker rooms where legends of golf have lockers, and played numerous courses where major championships have been, or will be hosted.  I checked off 26 courses from the top 100 list (not bad for 15 months) I made great golf contacts, met some great people along the way, and made some very good friends that I can't wait to enjoy a round and a pint with. And, I moved from Seattle to New Orleans. What a year!

In 2014, I played 64 rounds of golf (down from 76 in 2013) on 59 different courses (down from 70 in 2013).  Most of them have been great courses; a very few not so much. I have played on blisteringly hot days, perfect condition days, and very cold days (what is the rule when your ball comes to land on a pond that is frozen over?), sunny days, and rainy days (I lived in Seattle afterall). But, every round was a good round. Afterall, the worst day at golf is better than the best day at work. 

Every memory has been etched into my brain to always remember. A new logo golf ball has been placed into golf cabinet from each and every different club (and was sometimes the highlight of very poorly played round). My handicap started at a 19.8 back in January of 2013. As this year ends, I have been able to get my handicap down to a 17.2! I am looking forward to seeing it continue to drop as I get more chances to play at some of the top courses in the world.

Courses I played in 2014 in the order they were played:

January 2014

TPC Snoqualmie Ridge (Washington)

February 2014

Bandon Dunes Golf Course (Oregon) x2
Chambers Bay GC (Washington)

March 2014

Fallen Oaks GC (Mississippi)
Grand Bear GC (Mississippi)
Dancing Rabbit GC (Azalaes Course) (Mississippi)
Cascata GC (Nevada)
Shadow Creek GC (Nevada)
Harbour Pointe GC (Washington)
Golden Horseshoe GC (Virginia)

May 2014

The Plateau Club (Washington)
The Home Course (Washington)
Kingston Heath GC (Australia)
Royal Melbourne (East Course) (Australia)
Royal Melbourne (West Course) (Australia)
Barnbougle Dunes (Tasmania, Australia) x2
Barnbougle Lost Farms (Tasmania, Australia)
Cape Kidnappers GC (New Zealand)
Kauri Cliffs GC (New Zealand)
Royal Adelaide GC (Australia)
New South Wales GC (Australia)

July 2014

Sand Hills GC (Nebraska) x2
Wild Horse GC (Nebraska)
Woodhall Spa (Bracken Course) (England)
Woodhall Spa (Hotchkin Course) (England)
Royal Birkdale (England)
Royal Lytham & St. Anne's (England)
Ganton GC (England)
Sunningdale GC (Old Course) (England)
Sunningdale GC (New Course) (England)
Royal St. George's GC (England)
Forest of Arden GC (Arden Course) (England)

August 2014

TPC Louisiana (Louisiana)
Kayak Pointe GC (Washington)
Camaloch GC (Washington)

September 2014

Blue Heron GC (Washington)
Maidstone GC (New York)
Tall Grass GC (New York)
Garden City GC (New Jersey)
Bethpage State Park (Black Course) (New York)
Winged Foot GC (West Course) (New York)
Plainfield CC (New Jersey)

October 2014

Trilogy at Redmond Ridge GC (Washington)

November 2014

Pinehurst #1 (North Carolina)
Pinehurst #2 (North Carolina)
Pinehurst #3 (North Carolina)
Pinehurst #4 (North Carolina)
Pinehurst #5 (North Carolina)
Pinehurst #6 (North Carolina)
Pinehurst #7 (North Carolina)
Pinehurst #8 (North Carolina)
Pinehurst #9 (North Carolina)
Pine Needles Golf & CC (North Carolina)

December 2014

Old MacDonald GC (Oregon)
Bandon Dunes GC (Oregon)
Pacific Dunes GC (Oregon) x2
Bandon Trails GC (Oregon)
Pumpkin Ridge GC (Ghost Creek Course) (Oregon)
Oak Harbor GC (Louisiana)

I have already started planning my travel schedule for 2015.  I should be able to knock off at least 12-20 more top 100 courses in the world and be able to play at least four rounds every month this year! If you are in the area, please feel free to email me and join me for a round and a pint.

No comments:

Post a Comment